ღ - Same warnings as before! Pixiv needs an account, don't be a total asshole about fanart.
ღ - Well, I just discovered that userstyles.org has loads of tumblr-related options, so there goes the rest of my night. :|b
AND ONTO THE RECS:
Sherlock - 2 Fanfics
Durarara!! - 1 Doujinshi
El Shaddai - 1 Doujinshi
Katekyou Hitman REBORN! - 6 Doujinshi
Misfits - 1 Fanvid
Parks and Recreation - 2 Fanvids
Raising Hope - 1 Fanvid
Tangled - 1 Fanvid
Tiger & Bunny - 1 Fanvid
Bleach - 1 Fanart
Dragon Quest V - 1 Fanart
One Piece - 6 Fanart
Sherlock: Total by im_not_a_lizard - There's something you need to understand before reading this fic. There is a certain genre of fic in fandom that I'm just weak towards. Cat fic. I love cats in fic and I shall not be judged for this! I really do like the author's writing, though, and I enjoy catfic (and Sherlock being a weird loony with no social skills sometimes, so I can buy him substituting himself as the cat when he forces out the hateful thing) and the cuddling that was obviously about something more, but still in that space I'm comfortable with re: Sherlock/John. John's wtf reactions were lovely and the author's talent for both their voices made this one a joy to read. (Sherlock/John.)
Sherlock: Parallel by brbsoulnomming - I was intrigued by this fic because of the prompt--to have a case fic, where Sherlock and John run into two students who parallel themselves, sort of like female versions of them--because, hey! Case fic and I like female characters! It didn't take long for me to get pulled into the story--maybe a little slower than I'd have liked at first, but that's the uphill battle of establishing new characters in a fic with previously established fan-favorites, there's always going to be some sense of, "Hey, get back to the characters I already care about!" But the author does a brilliant job of making her OFCs come to life, both in the way they're similar to and yet different from Sherlock and John, establishing them on their own terms rather than just simply as plot devices. The writing is stunning all the way around, how the author balances the plot and the relationships, how they were woven together, and how spot on everything felt to me. This was a slow progression towards Sherlock and John acknowledging the feelings between them and to finally acting on it--anything faster than this wouldn't have been anywhere nearly as satisfying.
I feel as though I should be writing a longer rec for this fic, because it was well over 70,000 words, but it just sort of flew by me, to be honest. Once I got about a third of the way into the fic, I absolutely could not put it down, nearly racing through each scene because I kept needing to know just a little bit more. For someone who doesn't have the attention span I once did, that's kind of a marvel for me! I loved it almost as much for keeping me hooked in the entire time, never wavering in hitting all the right buttons with me, as I loved it for being such an excellent Sherlock/John fic that was so much about the emotional relationship between them over the physical. Don't get me wrong, I was pleased with the physical resolution by the end as well, but, oh, I'm here for the emotional porn and that's what this was for me. Professional quality writing, excellent characterization, a case to tie everything together, and emotional resonance. I couldn't ask for more. (Sherlock/John, OFC/OFC, some NSFW content at the very end, but I'd hesitate in even rating in R level.)
Durarara!! Doujinshi (scanlated): Soda - [Note: This post is locked, but the comm should be easily joinable.] Sometimes you just want sexytimes without an excuse, which is exactly what this doujinshi is. And I enjoyed the beginning especially, with Izaya complaining about the heat wave and Shizuo's air conditioner being broken while they were in the middle of sexytimes. He looks almost bored at first (at least until things get more playful and then even Izaya is surprised by Shizuo) and that always makes me laugh. Plus, porn is always nice when I'm on a doujinshi spree! (Shizuo/Izaya, NC-17.)
El Shaddai Doujinshi (scanlated): Sweet Holic - [Note: This post is locked, but the comm should be easily joinable. Also, there are multiple doujinshi on this page, I'm referring to the first one in this recommendation.] I was delighted to see an El Shaddai doujinshi! I have such a fondness for these characters and this was a sweet, short little piece with Lucifel giving Enoch a gift of chocolate and it stirs up feelings and attractions between both of them. It's a short piece, but the art is clean and cute, with some potential to be really pretty down the road, and I like the way Lucifel is teasing and enjoys playing with Enoch, but it's not malicious here. (Lucifel/Enoch.)
Katekyou Hitman REBORN! Doujinshi (scanlated): La Bisbetica - [Note: This post is locked, but the comm should be easily joinable.] Only LAS could make cat!Hibari being adopted by Dino when he was young and then they both eventually grow up and the relationship moves forward and I eat it up with a delicious spoon. I suppose I still have to give a caveat for potentially squicky relationship vibes (since Dino does take Hibari in when he's a kid), but I actually liked the way it was handled--there was no perving on younger Hibari here, it wasn't until he was 15 that Dino even really gives him a look, and then makes a point of thinking that he'll wait until Hibari is 18 before touching him, even if it means vomiting up blood. Plus, ugh, so many feelings for Hibari with cat ears and tail and having been abused by humans and slowly learning to trust humans, all while still being Hibari, who's flat expressions are amazing. As are his smirks when he breaks them out. Plus, the art is lovely, LAS is one of those circles I really love for this pairing. ♥ (Dino/Hibari.)
Katekyou Hitman REBORN! Doujinshi (scanlated): PICCOLO 1.5 - [Note: This post is locked, but the comm should be easily joinable.] LION*PUNCH is another one of my favorite circles for this pairing and, oh, if the previous LAS doujinshi with kitty ears and tail hit my weaknesses, then this one just kept on rolling out the punches--this time with kidlet versions of Dino and Hibari hanging around the adult versions. And those kids are fucking ADORABLE and HILARIOUS especially little kidlet Hibari, who is all kinds of amazing. The art is gorgeous as well, there were several moments where I just laughed hilariously (kidlet Dino's view of his older self hugging kidlet Hibari was A++++) and the sexytimes were gorgeous, and then the ending. The most perfect note it could have ended on! I was just all over this doujinshi tonight. ♥ (Dino/Hibari, NC-17.)
Katekyou Hitman REBORN! Doujinshi (scanlated): Secret Story - [Note: This post is locked, but the comm should be easily joinable.] As long as I'm getting back into D18 doujinshi, goodness knows I had to find at least one Banyuu doujinshi to recommend, too. You can tell this is one of Banyuu's older books (from 2006, I believe) because her art isn't as polished or developed as it'll become later, but you can still see so much potential in her work, especially in some of the really gorgeous close-ups. I've always found her writing to be a little hard to follow, this book is no exception to that, but I also find that it doesn't bother me much ultimately because she has a way of pulling you into the immediacy of the moment, of feeling what the characters are going through when they're sitting and talking with each other or when Hibari lays back on the bed and says he'll play with Dino for a bit or the gorgeous kissing scenes. She also is already doing her gorgeous hairrrrrrr thing she has here and goodness knows I love that. (Dino/Hibari, NC-17.)
Katekyou Hitman REBORN! Doujinshi (scanlated): ZUTTO MOTTO ISSHO - [Note: This post is locked, but the comm should be easily joinable.] Holy shit, I have no idea what the hell I just read. Little miniature versions of Xanxus and Squalo interacting with Hibird (and Hibari and Yamamoto in the background of their little lives) and something about toothpicks and erasers and-- and-- I don't even know. But it was cute as shit and little miniature Squalo missing little miniature Xanxus (who totally did not miss him back, either, when they were separated) was kind of seriously adorable. Adorable, adorable, adorable is really the word for this thing, because it was so cute and I'm glad I got a chance to read it! (Xanxus/Squalo.)
Katekyou Hitman REBORN! Doujinshi (scanlated): Boss Note - [Note: This post is locked, but the comm should be easily joinable.] Oh, god. I think I may have seen this doujin around before, the title definitely seems familiar to me, but I'm not sure if I've seen it scanlated before, so I'm re-recommending here. And, if I have done this one before, whatever, because it deserves another recommendation--it's so hilariously great because it's a parody of Death Note in two stories. The first, there's a notebook that makes the pun of "whoever's name is written in this book... shiru" instead of "shinu", so it's "juice" instead of "will die" and the Varia are a bunch of morons about it. Then there's Shinigami!Squalo and sexytimes with Xanxus that end... well, considering this is the Varia and a parody doujin, it ends about as you'd expect it. I laughed my way through the entire thing, it's pretty hilarious. (Xanxus/Squalo, a light NC-17 towards the end.)
Katekyou Hitman REBORN! Doujinshi (scanlated): As Long as There's Love, Age Doesn't Matter 2.5 - [Note: This post is locked, but the comm should be easily joinable. Also, there are multiple doujinshi on this page, I'm referring to the second to last one (the sixth one down) in this rec.] Ahhhh, this is much more my speed with Tsuna and Gokudera, because I firmly view Gokudera as being totally in love with Tsuna and everything he does and how cool he is, so seeing TYL!Tsuna be much more smooth and cool, being much more in charge and aggressive here, works for me as something I view as totally, totally working for Gokudera. And, really, just on a shallow level, this kind of doujinshi and its sexytimes are everything that I find delicious and fun to read about. The art is solid, if a bit weak on anatomy, at least the faces are lovely and I can recognize something of a familiarity to Amano's style. But mostly I enjoyed this one for Gokudera being submitting to pretty much everything Tsuna asks of him, because, ahhhh, my favorite! (Tsuna/Gokudera, NC-17.)
Misfits Fanvid: The Fear - Oh, this was a gorgeous Alisha-centric video, choosing a fantastic song for it and a great set of clips selected. The pace keeps moving and I found myself completely engrossed in this video the entire time it was play, the story it was telling because it does justice to this amazing character and what she's gone through. The editing of the video is very smooth and it all works so perfectly that I'm just left feeling sort of... a little bit breathless afterwards.
Parks and Recreation: Fly - As I often am with a series that stands really well on its own, I was wary of getting into vids for Parks and Rec, but I was intrigued anyway. And then there was this video, a Leslie-centric video that was all about the hope and determination and enthusiasm and hard work of her character that really actually touched me. Leslie is my favorite character, because there's just so much heart in her character, and this video beautifully captured that. This was so good.
Parks and Recreaction: Go Places - Oh, this is so sweet and wonderful that I can hardly stand it! It's a lovely video about Leslie and Ann's friendship, which is one of the best things about the show, and you can feel that here in the video, in concentrated form. It's a beautiful look at all the things Leslie drags Ann into and how they both absolutely light up around each other and are the best friends forever. I can't lie, this video gave me a lot of feelings, too.
Raising Hope Fanvid: In Spite of Ourselves - I picked up this link from jesshelga because I was curious about how a Burt and Virginia fanvid would go, but sort of wary, because I'm not sure I want Raising Hope to have a fandom. But, oh, this video was absolute perfection! The song is beautifully chosen, but it's the selection of clips that bring up all these feelings I have for their relationship and how wonderful it is and the vid accomplishes its ultimate goal: Making me fall in love with those two crazy kids all over again.
Tangled: Everything Comes and Goes - Another vid that threatened to make me get all misty-eyed over it because it got straight to the heart of the movie and the relationship between Flynn and Rapunzel and Rapunzel's entire journey. It's beautifully edited, the colors are as vibrant as I remember them, the pacing is perfect, and it feels like it fits with the movie. I love that the vid doesn't try to oversell anything, it's almost understated in the way it approaches its songs and clips, which just makes it work all the better. Beautiful.
Tiger and Bunny: Free for All - As long as I was going through the vids from festivus and as long as I was in a T&B mood... I figured, what the hell, I'll try this one, too. And, oh, I loved this video. The song and clip choices and editing were all beautifully done, so it felt slick and professional and so much fun. It really had this high energy feel to it that worked with the series so well and it's the kind of video that gets you pumped to go rewatch the series all over again because it captures it just so damn well.
- Bleach - [ deviantART Account ] - This artist is rather quickly turning into one of my favorites in the Bleach fandom because the art just keeps getting better and better, because it has this really great texture to it and these gorgeous almost a little burnt colors that work so well on Ichigo and Orihime, because there's kissing. One of my early favorites is an IchiHime kiss and fireworks and hand clasping and, seriously, IchiHime Old West theme shouldn't be that amazing, but it is and, oh, the slightly NSFW art is gorgeous, too, and kissing!! If I could, I would pretty much shove each and every one of these at every fan ever because it's such lovely work and this artist definitely has a lot of talent, but even more than that it's... the way the art makes me feel all these flaily sort of feelings that I love. That's when I know an artist is something special. (Ichigo/Orihime, some other.)
- Dragon Quest V - [ Tegaki Account ] - Granted, there's not a ton of art here and you'll have to go through several pages to find it all, but! Pretty Deborah art! I am always on the lookout for this in DQV fandom! I really enjoy the artist's use of colors on hero/Deborah and the attention to detail and strong lineart (considering it's tegaki art and all), it's that kind of style that I'm just weak towards. Sure, I ship the hell out of hero/Deborah but it's also that the artist's work is so darn cute and there's even the occasional piece of wedding art and the hero is lovely as well and it just. Totally made my morning today. ♥ (Hero/Deborah.)
- One Piece - [ Pixiv Account ] - I was browsing around the OP tags the other day, not really intending for any one thing in particular or so, when I stumbled over this artist's work, especially her gorgeous image of Sanji. I was immediately impressed with the coloring and detail of it, so, okay, let's see the rest of her artwork... ahhhh, ZoSan, my old love, I never can quit you, can I? Certainly not when an artist does work like this! Her Sanji is probably definitely the best, but I'm fond of her Zoro/Sanji as well, because the colorsssss are amazing. Or one of my favorites of hers, a post-time skip ZoSan of them lounging on each other. Also, Sanji in a suit was very appreciated. It's one of those accounts that I didn't expect to stumble over tonight, but when I did, I was kind of over the moon because her art is on a professional level quality and gorgeous and you can just feel how much affection she has for Sanji's character and this pairing, and it was nice to be reminded of my love for this ship. (Some gen, Zoro/Sanji.)
- One Piece - [ Tegaki Account ] - This was another artist I stumbled over when browsing for art the other day and was instantly charmed by! This is one of those artists where they hit so many of the things I want to see--Sanji and Zoro and Sanji and Ace and Luffy and more Ace and Luffy and a good variety of other characters like Shanks--all done with a really fun, mouseart style that really works with a WJ series like this! The artist just really captures the spirit of the joyfulness of One Piece, even when people are enraged, it's just delightful for me to look at! Add that into drawing a lot of my favorite characters and combinations, it was quite satisfying. (This is pretty well gen, but Zoro/Sanji and Ace/Luffy fans might like it as well. But I'm pretty sure this is mostly gen.)
- One Piece - [ Pixiv Account ] - I came across this artist over this collection of images, which had some of the most adorable doodles of the cast in it! There's a lot of randomness, au-style stuff, some Zoro/Sanji, some gorgeous pieces of Nami or Shirahoshi or Luffy with a hatful of Strawhats that's super adorable or Ace, Sabo, and Luffy or Strawhats all passed out in a giant pile, all of which appeals greatly to me. There's not really one focus with this artist, the cuteness is spread out over several characters and dynamics, but it's all stuff that is right inside my wheelhouse, so. I was totally delighted over this site. ♥ (No real warnings/pairings.)
- One Piece - [ Pixiv Account ] - I was going through the regular OP tags, not even looking for shippy stuff, when I stumbled over a neatly stylized Robin image and then some Zoro/Robin in the same style. It's probably not going to be for everyone, it's definitely got a stylized bent to it, but I am weak to things like Zoro, Robin, and Chopper all lounging together and I like stylized work and I like this pairing, so I was kind of all over this artist. It put me back in a frame of mind to ship this pairing again and it was a lovely treat to stumble over this artist tonight. (Zoro/Robin.)
- One Piece - [ Pixiv Account ] - Oh, this artist. I stumbled over this artist via their gorgeous Zoro/Robin piece, which was beautiful enough as it was, not to mention oh my god Robin's dress how is that adorable and gorgeous at the same time like that?? Then gorgeous Boa Hancock and gorgeous Robin and gorgeous Ace and Luffy and gorgeous Ace, Sabo, and Luffy and, oh, good god, gorgeous Rogue and Ace that is quite possibly my new favorite fucking thing in the history of ever and omg gorgeous Kokoro and I can't imagine any OP fan not loving the Strawhats being gorgeous. Basically, I can't even form a coherent rec for how much I love this artist and their gorgeous, gorgeous lines and colors and concepts that put a shot straight to my fangirl heart. Instead, you get a ridiculous amount of link and arm flailing. That should get my point across well enough. (This is mostly gen/nothing consistent enough to warn for.)
- One Piece - [ Pixiv Account ] - So, I know I've stumbled over this artist before. But all it took was Garp and kidlet Ace (jesus christ the amount of cute there is physically painful to me, I never want to stop sobbing at how much I love it) and Ace being gorgeous as he angsts for me to tear through the artist's entire gallery all over again. This is another artist that has these amazingly vibrant colors, though a little darker than some artists, a lot of deep reds and oranges, which they use brilliantly. They focus a lot on the Ace/Sabo/Luffy trio (in various combinations) and then balancing that out with the more minor characters (like Jewelry Bonney or Izou) and it's all amazing, amazing stuff. But. I am totally here for amazingly perfect Garp and baby Ace (again) or Luffy in the grass or D Kyoudai art that's pretty much exactly the reason that OP fanart fandom will probably always be one of my very, very favorite things about pixiv. Goddamn, this artist is amazing. (No real warnings/pairings.)
This entry was originally posted at http://tomomichi.dreamwidth.org/183023.html. I'm fine with comments here or there, whichever. :D